As the James A. Perkins endowed Professor and Research Scientist at Cornell, I have devoted my professional life to the chemical biology. ecology and medicinal chemistry and toxicology of natural small molecules and glycoproteins from plants and arthropods that are important in ecological and biological interactions and human and animal health and medicine. In collaboration with Dr. Richard Wrangham at Harvard we established the discipline of zoopharmacognosy (animal self medication with plants) and Chemo-ornithology (chemical ecology of bird-inect-plant interactions) with David Rosane from CUNY. I have developed a new undergraduate course and research program on the pharmacognosy, pharmacology and nutritional biochemistry of natural substance important for the control of diabetes type 2 and breast and pancreatic cancer in underrepresented communities in the US and Mexico. I have also devoted considerable time and effort to the training of hundreds of underrepresented undergraduate and graduate minority and majority students in the sciences at Cornell and the University of California, Irvine. A plethora of these fine young women and men at Cornell and UCI are now medical doctors, health specialists, research Professors, pharmaceutical scientists, biologists and environmental ecologists.
- Chavez, K. J., Feng, E., Rodriguez, E., & Schroeder, F. C. (2011). Spirocyclic Lignans from Guaiacum Zygophyllaceae) Induce Apoptosis in Human Breast Cancer Cells. Journal of Natural Products. 74:1293–1297.
- Haribal, M. M., Proctor, H., Dhondt, A. A., & Rodriguez, E. (2011). Biology of House Finch feather mites, Proctophyllodes pinnatus (Acari: Proctophyllodidae), parallels variation in preen gland secretions . International Journal of Acareology. 37:75-90.
- Haribal, M. M., Dhondt, A. A., & Rodriguez, E. (2009). Composition of Preen Gland Secretions of Tropical Birds. Biochemical Systematics. 37:60-90.
- Bystrom, L. M., Lewis, B. A., Brown, D. L., Rodriguez, E., & Obendorf, R. L. (2009). Phenolics, sugars, antimicrobial and free-radical-scavenging activities of Melicoccus bijugatus Jacq. fruits from the Dominican Republic and Florida. Journal of Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. 64:160-166.
- Haribal, M. M., Dhondt, A. A., & Rodriguez, E. (2009). Seasonal Variation in Preen Gland Secretions of House Finches and Feather Mites. Biochemical Systematics. 39:pp. 80-90.
- Bystrom, L. M., Lewis, B., Brown, D. L., Rodriguez, E., & Obendorf, R. L. (2008). Chemical Composition, Antimicrobial and Free Radical Scavenging Activities of Meliococcus bijugatus Jacq, Fruits From the Dominican Republic and Florida. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 111:pp. 1017-24.
- Rodriguez, E. (2007). Career Profiles: Natural Products Chemist. Journal of Chemical Education. 84:1585-86.
- Laux, M., Salas, R., & Rodriguez, E. (2007). Healthy and Safe Alternatives to Hormone Replacement Treatment. Revista Latinoamericana de Quimica. 35:20-32.
- Laux, M., Aregullin, M. A., & Rodriguez, E. (2007). Inhibition of Helicobacter pylori and Gastric Cancer cells by Lipid Aldehydes from Viburnum opulus (Adoxaceae). Natural Product Communications. 2:1015-1019.