My principal area of interest is systematic biology, and within this area, my research is focused on systematics of the grass family (Poaceae) and other monocots. I am engaged in studies of phylogenetic relationships within the grass family (Poaceae) and across monocots as a whole, using molecular, genomic, and morphological character sets. I also work on species-level problems, including the development of appropriate methods for inferring species boundaries on the basis of population variation patterns. I have employed these methods in my studies of species boundaries in the grass genus Puccinellia, and these analyses have contributed to my floristic studies of this genus.
- Cohen, J. I., Litt, A., & Davis, J. I. (2012). Comparative floral development in Lithospermum L. (Boraginaceae) and implications for the evolution and development of heterostyly. American Journal of Botany. 99:797-805.
- Seberg, O., Petersen, G., Davis, J. I., Pires, J. C., Stevenson, D., Chase, M. W., Fay, M. F., Devey, D. S., Sytsma, K. J., & Yohan, P. (2012). Phylogeny of the Asparagales, based on three plastid and two mitochondrial genes. American Journal of Botany. 99:875-889.
- Olinares, P., Kim, J., Davis, J. I., & van Wijk, K. (2011). Subunit stoichiometry, evolution, and functional implications of an asymmetric plant plastid ClpP/R protease complex in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell. 23:2348-2361.
- Cuenca, A., Petersen, G., Seberg, O., Davis, J. I., & Stevenson, D. (2010). Are Substitution Rates and RNA Editing Correlated? BMC Evolutionary Biology. 10:349.
- Davis, J. I. (2010). Branch support via Resampling: an Empirical Study. Cladistics. 26:643-656.
- Davis, J. I., & Soreng, R. J. (2010). Migration of Endpoints of Two Genes Relative to Boundaries Between Regions of the Plastid Genome in the Grass Family (Poaceae). American Journal of Botany. 97:874-892.
- Cohen, J. I., & Davis, J. I. (2009). Nomenclatural changes in Lithospermum (Boraginaceae) and related taxa following a reassessment of phylogenetic relationships. Brittonia. 61:101-111.
- Soreng, R. J., Davis, J. I., & Voionmaa, M. A. (2007). A phylogenetic analysis of Poaceae tribe Poeae sensu lato based on morphological characters and sequence data from three plastid-encoded genes: evidence for reticulation, and a new classification for the tribe. Kew Bulletin. 62:425-454.
- Davis, J. I., & Soreng, R. J. (2007). A phylogenetic analysis of the grasses (Poaceae), with attention to subfamily Pooideae and structural features of the plastid and nuclear genomes, including an intron loss in GBSSI. Aliso. 23:325-338.
- Rudall, P. J., Sokoloff, D. D., Remizowa, M. V., Conran, J. G., Davis, J. I., Macfarlane, T. D., & Stevenson, D. W. (2007). Morphology of Hydatellaceae, an anomalous aquatic family recently recognized as an early-divergent angiosperm lineage. American Journal of Botany. 94:1073-1092.